Lightweight Gear Options for Bike Touring
Bike touring is an exciting adventure that allows you to experience the joy of traveling while staying fit. But carrying all the necessary gear can make the experience burdensome and affect your tour's success. Luckily, there is now lightweight gear for bike touring that makes the experience more enjoyable.
Here are some lightweight gear options for your next bike touring adventure:
1. Ultralight Tents
Ultralight tents are designed with lightweight materials that make them easy to pack and transport. They provide ample shelter while not adding excess weight to your load. Some of the best ultralight tents for bike touring include:
- MSR Hubba Hubba NX - This tent weighs 1.54 kg and is perfect for two people.
- Nemo Hornet Elite - This tent weighs 1.05 kg and is suitable for one person.
2. Sleeping Bags
Sleeping bags are an essential part of bike touring gear. Although they can be bulky and heavy, lightweight sleeping bags now exist that are easy to pack and carry around. Some of the best lightweight sleeping bags include:
- Sea to Summit Spark III - This bag weighs 730 grams and is suitable for temperatures as low as -6°C.
- Alpkit Pipedream 400 - This bag weighs 750 grams and is suitable for temperatures as low as -2°C.
3. Solar Power Banks
Keeping your devices charged while touring can be a hassle, but solar power banks make it easier to do so. These power banks are lightweight and can be charged using solar panels. Some of the best solar power banks include:
- Anker PowerPort Solar Lite - This power bank weighs 320 grams and has 2 solar panels that charge at 2.1 amps.
- RAVPower Solar Charger - This power bank weighs 250 grams and has 3 solar panels that charge at 2.4 amps.
4. Ultralight Cookware
Cooking while on the road is necessary, but traditional cookware can be cumbersome. Ultralight cookware is now available and designed to be compact and easy to pack. Some of the best ultralight cookware for bike touring include:
- Snow Peak Trek Titanium Mini Cookset - This cookware set weighs 310 grams and includes a pot and a pan.
- GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist - This set weighs 170 grams and includes a pot, a lid, and a mug.
5. Lightweight Bike Bags
Bike bags are necessary to carry your gear while touring, but traditional bike bags can be heavy and add extra weight to your load. Lightweight bike bags are now available in various sizes and designs to suit your needs. Some of the best lightweight bike bags include:
- Ortlieb Seat Pack - This bag weighs 430 grams and is designed to fit under the saddle.
- Revelate Designs Tangle Frame Bag - This bag weighs 220 grams and is designed to fit on the frame.
In conclusion, bike touring doesn't have to be a burden. With the latest advancements in lightweight gear, you can now minimize the weight of your gear and have a more enjoyable experience on the road. So, make sure to invest in lightweight gear for your next bike touring adventure.